WELCOME TO THE DEPARTMENT OF EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT AND SAFETY
Our goal is to create a culture of safety, security, and emergency preparedness that is both proactive and progressive and embeded into the daily operations of our campuses and facilities.
The department works in partnership with the Humble ISD Police Department and school leaders and staff and oversees functions related to safety and security in Humble ISD.
Our prevention/mitigation measures include:
- Security vestibules at our elementary schools and our newer secondary campuses.
- Screening visitors through the Raptor system and requiring that visitors be identified.
- Training staff and students to be observant and to report unidentified individuals and any safety concerns.
- Proactive mental health support for students and use of a structured threat assessment process.
- Conducting safety and security audits, as required by the Texas Education Code and as needed to ensure a safe learning environment.
- A school safety and security committee that monitors compliance with local, state and federal mandates.
Our preparedness efforts include:
- Multi-hazard district and campus emergency operations plans.
- Drills in accordance with the standards of the Texas School Safety Center.
- Coordination with federal, state and local authorities and first responders.
- District and campus level emergency equipment and supplies.
- Mutual-aid, inter-local and other agreements to support comprehensive emergency preparedness.
Our response elements include:
- Implementation of Standard Response Protocol, e.g. Lockdown, Secure the Perimeter, Evacuation, and Shelter-in-Place.
- Use of Incident Command System (ICS).
- Effective public information/notifications systems.
- Collaboration with local first responders.
Our recovery procedures include:
- Plans for the emotional and physical health of students and staff after an incident.
- After-action reviews and corrective action plans as needed.
- Continuity of operations planning/execution to continue school/district functions during and after an incident.