Texas Historical Marker
Humble ISD was awarded a Texas Historical Marker, in honor of the district's founding 100 years ago.
The narrative for the application was researched and written by Dr. Robert Meaux. The City of Humble assisted with the completion of the marker application, and allowed the marker to be placed at the Charles Bender High School building (where the district was located when it was transformed from District No. 50 to the Humble Independent School District).
The application & narrative submitted to Paul Scott of the Harris County Historical Association on November 3, 2017.
On January 30, 2018, the district was notified by the Texas Historical Commission that the marker had been approved.
Read the Narrative.
The marker unveiling ceremony was held on April 25, 2019 at 9:30 AM at the Charles Bender Performing Arts Center.
The ceremony includes:
- Recognitions by Superintendent Elizabeth Fagen and Humble ISD School Board President Charles Cunningham
- Remarks from City of Humble Mayor Merle Aaron
- Proclamation from the City of Houston (presented by Clarissa Perez)
- Proclamation from Precinct 4 Commissioner Jack R. Cagle (presented by Kennedy Purser)
- Review of Humble ISD's history by Dr. Robert Meaux
- Singing by Kingwood Park High School student Brooke Searcy
- Remarks by Paul Scott of the Harris County Historical Commission
- Remarks by Debra Blacklock-Sloan of the Harris County Historical Commission
- Coffeee bar and reception by Summer Creek High School teacher Chef Daniela Jenkins and Humble ISD Culinary Arts students
- Music by the Humble High School Chamber Strings
- Guided tours of the Historic Charles Bender Performing Arts Center (formerly Charles Bender High School) given by the Curriculum & Instruction department.
The program was put together by the Humble ISD Public Communications department, with lead work by Valonia Walker.
Article - 04/13/2018: Humble ISD celebrates receiving a state historical marker (Humble ISD News Release)
Article - 04/25/2019: Humble ISD Receives Historical Marker in Time for Centennial Celebration (Humble Observer, Kaila Contreras)
Article - 04/20/2019: Community to Celebrate Humble ISD's Historical Marker Placed at Charles Bender (Humble Observer, Kaila Contreras)
Article - 05/07/2019: Humble ISD awared Texas Historical Marker in Honor of 100th Anniversary (The Tribune, Sarah Mertins)